Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Blunder by Cadbury


There was this show on the telly - The Apprentice and a particular incident which happened on the show stuck to me. Donald Trump, the main host of the show fired the group leader in a particular project because the leader had carelessly printed incorrect contact numbers on Donald Trump's Sales Brochure. That was just a show but I am amazed a company like Cadbury's has pulled off something a stunner like that.

You guys must be aware about the premium chocolate brand - SILK which was launched recently by Cadburys, just before it was taken over by Kraft. Well, Cadbury products are generally great so I was naturally tempted to try it out. The packaging is actually most appealing and looks pretty even while sitting in a "kirana" shop. (I have a separate grouse about its packaging and you can read a little bit about it here http://bit.ly/9QcVJa on CrankyWriter's blog, but lets not digress!)

So, I buy this huge piece of chocolate and open it. Standard quality stuff and to my surprise I see a message on the white wrapper of the chocolate. It said something like - write to us at ilovesilk@cadbury.com about your experience with this product of ours. I was most impressed...Nice way to connect to customers, so I write to cadburys about my experience and guess what! The damn email id does not exist! I get a mail bounceback!!! Wow...! May be the managers at Cadbury's dont realize what kind of message they are sending to their customers when they pull off stunts like these ! They are saying - "We dont care about you guys as long as you keep buying our stuff".

I hope some one at their posh Cadbury House office on Peddar road, Mumbai has taken some heat for this and is scurrying to setup an email account...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never tried contacting Cadburys, but that is a real low. A bounceback mail ID is a serious embarrassment for such a big organisation.

    Anyways, thanks for the mention Aditya :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not really smthing 'we dont care' ish... actually, since the kraft-cadbury buyout, their website is non-existent. www.cadbury.com .... See? so i for one dont think its such a big deal... cool idea though...

    ReplyDelete